Sunday, February 27, 2005

Tonight's sermon

Tonight in church we heard about Matthew 26:30:
"And after they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives."
The pastor explained that at the Passover, the Jews would sing Psalms 113 & 114 before the meal, and after the meal 115 - 118. They called this the Hallel, or song of praise. It's really very interesting to read through Psalms 115 - 118 with this in mind. We see all the things Jesus sang, which at that moment, meant such different things for Him than they meant for His disciples, the other Jews, or us. Can you imagine singing,
"I will take up the cup of salvation,
And call upon the Name of the Lord,"
when for you, the cup of salvation is the cup filled with wrath? And the Hallel begins with this, "Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us,
But to Your Name give glory,
Because of Your mercy,
Because of Your truth."
In 116 it says,
"The pains of death surrounded me,
And the pangs of Sheol laid hold of me;
I found trouble and sorrow."
And the Hallel ends with,
"God is the Lord,
And He has given us light;
Bind the sacrifice with cords to the horns of the altar.
You are my God, and I will praise You;
You are my God, and I will exalt You.
Oh gives thanks unto the Lord, for He is good!
For His mercy endures forever."
Of course, the sacrifice was Jesus Himself, the true Lamb of God. I just find it so amazing, that at a time like that, just as He set out of the last steps of the way to the cross, He sang a song of praise to God, a song which pointed toward His sufferings and death. And you know what? His life, His singing here, His prayers, His death on the cross, where the first time that God's Will had ever been done on earth at it is in heaven. Anyway, I just found this such an interesting sermon. Of course, His singing here fulfills the prophecy in Psalm 43:4. I wonder how many of the things recorded for us are fulfilments of prophecies that we just don't see?

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebekah said...

Wow. That brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing the insights.

3/3/05 4:56 p.m.  
Blogger Emily said...

i didn't know i could do that *grin* actually, i found this a very interesting and special topic myself.

4/3/05 11:02 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Use this to hide the profile in the new template