I'm so happy to be back!
I had a fantastic week! I totally missed the piano and the computer, but it was really really good. I didn't know what to expect from the week, not having gone before, but I was pleasantly surprised. The counselors where great fun, and I loved the campers. My own private camper was Tyler, but everyone shared quite a bit, so I got to spend time with lots of others, especially Marvin, Ron, Otto, Joe, Akil, Teresa, and Suzy.
We had a SERVE team up from New Mexico and Minnesota. That was cool. Three of the guys (Mag, Tim, and Ben) have a band a home and I got to help them some with music in the chapel every day. The play the guitar, piano, and the drums. We also had 3 flutists and 1 trombonist. It was great fun.
We went to the pool twice, to a ranch, to the bowling alley, and we all did plays with our groups on Thursday night for Talent Time.
Chris and Christine, the directors for this week, gave all the campers an award for something we had noticed during the week. Tyler got the highest male 5-pin bowler award. His score was 138. I had 125. I'm a bit out of practice. The Americans had an interesting time doing 5-pin bowling, which they had never seen before. Dan, one of the New Mexicans, told me the game sucked. Then next turn he got a strike. :D :)
Ron has one of those plastic microphones that amplifies your voice slightly, and he used it all week. When C2 gave Ron his award on Talent night, he shook their hands, and then turned to the audience and said, "I've got a song that will knock your socks off!" We weren't sure what it was going to be, because sometimes he does have a song that could. But this time it was "Allelu, Allelu, Allelu, Allelujah!" We all roared. I wish I could let you hear the way he says it though. That made it absolutely hilarious!
I loved camp. I loved the campers. Going in, I wasn't sure what it would be like. I wasn't sure wether there would be campers who were really scary-looking, etc. But by the second day already, we no longer saw their 'disabilities,' we just saw how special each one was. I look at the world with different eyes after seeing it through theirs for a week. My fellow counselors where a great inspiration also. Each was patient, kind, longsuffering, helpful, loving, caring toward their camper, the other campers, the other counselors. It was a joyous week. I made new and special friends, was greatly encouraged in my faith, and just enjoyed myself and the people around me so much.
I want to go back next year, and I hope some of my friends can come too.
We had a SERVE team up from New Mexico and Minnesota. That was cool. Three of the guys (Mag, Tim, and Ben) have a band a home and I got to help them some with music in the chapel every day. The play the guitar, piano, and the drums. We also had 3 flutists and 1 trombonist. It was great fun.
We went to the pool twice, to a ranch, to the bowling alley, and we all did plays with our groups on Thursday night for Talent Time.
Chris and Christine, the directors for this week, gave all the campers an award for something we had noticed during the week. Tyler got the highest male 5-pin bowler award. His score was 138. I had 125. I'm a bit out of practice. The Americans had an interesting time doing 5-pin bowling, which they had never seen before. Dan, one of the New Mexicans, told me the game sucked. Then next turn he got a strike. :D :)
Ron has one of those plastic microphones that amplifies your voice slightly, and he used it all week. When C2 gave Ron his award on Talent night, he shook their hands, and then turned to the audience and said, "I've got a song that will knock your socks off!" We weren't sure what it was going to be, because sometimes he does have a song that could. But this time it was "Allelu, Allelu, Allelu, Allelujah!" We all roared. I wish I could let you hear the way he says it though. That made it absolutely hilarious!
I loved camp. I loved the campers. Going in, I wasn't sure what it would be like. I wasn't sure wether there would be campers who were really scary-looking, etc. But by the second day already, we no longer saw their 'disabilities,' we just saw how special each one was. I look at the world with different eyes after seeing it through theirs for a week. My fellow counselors where a great inspiration also. Each was patient, kind, longsuffering, helpful, loving, caring toward their camper, the other campers, the other counselors. It was a joyous week. I made new and special friends, was greatly encouraged in my faith, and just enjoyed myself and the people around me so much.
I want to go back next year, and I hope some of my friends can come too.


3 Comments:
Welcome back! Glad you had such a good time. :-D
i'm glad you could visit with laura and me on friday nite and steve and me on saturday! :-D
twas great fun hearing ur stories first hand! :-D
Yeah yeah yeah! Rehoboth is the best place in the world. I know most of the campers that you were with. Isn't it just so amazing how God works in you over there. It is at Rehoboth that I figured out what I wanted to do with my life. I am sure you felt that when the campers walked into the Chapel and there was singing, it was like they instantly calmed down? Yep thats why I want to be a music therapist. Oh Emily I am SOOOO Glad you had fun!
I miss Rehoboth now, and the cool thing is you sometimes stay friends with the ones you have made for a long time. (in fact I am one of my friends bridesmaids)
Post a Comment
<< Home