Sunday, March 06, 2005

Imagination

You know, our God has such a great imagination. My thoughts started in this path a couple of weeks ago, and I have thought of many examples of this. His imagination is so great, we cannot imagine how He could think of all the things He has and does think of. Who among us would have thought of the giraffe, whith his comically long neck and blue tongue? Or that ultimate joke, the duck-billed platypus? When it says,
"God sits in the heavens and laughs,"
I think he does not only laugh in scorn that people think they can best Him, but also in sheer pleasure at the things He thinks of. Who else would have thought of making the sky blue and the trees green? Who could have invented the sunsets we see, new every day, an infinite treasure of colours and shapes? And I find it astounding that the harsher the climate, the more beautiful the Aurora Borealis gets. When I look out my window and see the water rushing along beside the roads or lying quietly reflecting our blue Alberta sky, I am filled with wonder. He thought of how what I am seeing now would look, long ages before I see it. Even down to how each ripple and cloud and leaf would be shaped, the myriad of colours and textures they would have. He designed each of the leaves I see, knowing their ages, colours, and shapes, and even that I would be looking at them today.
The Bible is full of expressions of wonder and delight at the imagination of God. He stuns our senses with His Creation. Here are just a few.
Psalm 92:4 & 5 says,
"For you, Lord, have made me glad through Your work;
I will triumph in the works of your hands.
O Lord, how great are Your works!
Your thoughts are very deep."
And the Psalmist says in Psalm 104:24,
"O Lord, how manifold are Your works!
In wisdom You have made them all."
Isaiah writes in 55:8 & 9,
"For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways," says the Lord.
"For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways,
And My thoughts than your thoughts. "
And in Psalm 8, that beautiful description of God's glory shown in His works, David writes,
"When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,
The moon and stars, which You have ordained,
What is man that You are mindful of him,
And the son of man, that You visit Him?
For You have made him a little lower than the angels,
And You have crowned Him with glory and honour.
You have made him to have dominion over the works of Your hands;
You have put all things under his feet . . ."
In some ways Psalm 8 is a sobering Psalm. Who are we to have dominion over His mighty and wondrous and beautiful works? This is a gargantuan task. But there is a promise for this too,
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

1 Comments:

Blogger Isaiah Eyre said...

You really have to wonder why anybody would want to be an atheist. Despite their intimate scientific knowledge, they're so ignorant of why beauty and function rhyme so well - and why creation is so interesting to look, listen, smell, feel and marvel at. Ingratitude, I suspect. Thanks for the reminder. ;-) (the nice weather we're having also helps)

6/3/05 6:33 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Use this to hide the profile in the new template