too bad about the hours
last night was fun! we sat around and talked for a bit at the beginning of the shift, and then they showed me all kinds of good things. They have a really nice house to live in during their shifts, nothing like our dark closest of an office. They have a really large living room, kitchen, and dining area, 4 bedrooms, a weightroom, a couple of huge storage closets, and nice bathrooms. I'm a little jealous. :) They found me a 'jumpsuit' first, which wasn't easy, and then I had to sign some papers. There was a student there and they made her show me the ambulance and were all the emergency equipment and stuff was. It was really really interesting!
Then they did some practice with the stretcher with the student. She was having trouble because she's short and you have to lift it really high to get it in the ambulance. First the put the casual guy on it, but he was really heavy, so after that they buckled me in. I'm assuming that if you're hurt it wouldn't matter what it felt like, but I wouldn't purposely spend a lot of time on a stretcher. :\ It was really cool to figure out how everything worked though.
After that they let the student take the guinea-pig's (T's) blood pressure. They were going to make me try to, but fortunately seemed to have forgotten about it by the time she was done. I'll probably end up learning at some point when I show up there next, though. I also got to watch her put an IV needle in T's hand for practice. For some reason he doesn't mind, and they all do it to him to keep their hands in. I'm not sure I get it. He bled quite a bit too, but it was interesting anyhow.
Later we all went and laid down, and I slept on one of the living room couches, which was really comfy. There was a room empty, I guess, but I didn't feel like sleeping in J and C's room, so I didn't. They alternate shifts, so each room belongs to two guys.
At about 1:48 we had a call, not a terribly exciting one or anything, but it was a real call. It was good to find out what exactly they do that makes it take 3 minutes before calling back in when it's not a terrible emergency. Now I won't be totally impatient with them. Granted, I was up and dressed before either R or T, but they had more stuff to put on, since I only had a jumpsuit and they have uniforms and belts and radios and boots.
I was really impressed by their efficiency at the house we went to, and how quickly they figured out what was wrong. We went out into the hall and got the stretcher into the room and they helped the guy on. Good thing we have strong tough ambulance people, guys and girls. I don't think I would last long unless I had a lot of practice and did some weightlifting to strengthen my arms. I got to carry the duffelbag, which seriously is almost as big as I am, and they laughed because it looked funny. They were happy to have someone open the doors for them, though. We brought the guy to the hospital, and then R did the paperwork while T and I made up the bed and cleaned up again.
Then we headed back, and I all of a sudden realized that my jumpsuit legs were about 4 inches too short, and the back about 4 inches to long. They said when I come back they'll find me a different one. :)
Everyone went back to bed, and absolutely nothing happened the rest of the night. Some nights are like that, and some are really busy, and once in a while they don't have any at all. The joys of small towns.
I also got to see a bunch of pictures, mainly of cars after accidents, many of which I'd dispatched myself. It was interesting, but I was glad that when they were out seeing nasty things and braving cold and snow, I was safely in my office in a nice warm chair. They bug us about that. Whatever. Neither of us could do a job without the other.
I made ginger cookies and chocolate chip cookies, and I'll bring some by tomorrow to thank them for being nice to me. And I need to ask if they found my watch anyway. I lost it last night at some point.
Anyway, if anyone has actually had the persistence to read this thing to the end, I've decided I love our field of work. Helping people at 3:00 in the morning is my definition of happiness. But the hours are terrible, and so is some of the company. But my license is good for 2 years, so I can quit now and find a better place later possibly. I love it. It's like when people say that it just seems like the must dance, or play the piano or whatever to be happy. I guess I get a lot of satisfaction out of being the one who's there 24/7 to help you if you need me. *grin*
But I think longer coveralls would be a good plan.
Then they did some practice with the stretcher with the student. She was having trouble because she's short and you have to lift it really high to get it in the ambulance. First the put the casual guy on it, but he was really heavy, so after that they buckled me in. I'm assuming that if you're hurt it wouldn't matter what it felt like, but I wouldn't purposely spend a lot of time on a stretcher. :\ It was really cool to figure out how everything worked though.
After that they let the student take the guinea-pig's (T's) blood pressure. They were going to make me try to, but fortunately seemed to have forgotten about it by the time she was done. I'll probably end up learning at some point when I show up there next, though. I also got to watch her put an IV needle in T's hand for practice. For some reason he doesn't mind, and they all do it to him to keep their hands in. I'm not sure I get it. He bled quite a bit too, but it was interesting anyhow.
Later we all went and laid down, and I slept on one of the living room couches, which was really comfy. There was a room empty, I guess, but I didn't feel like sleeping in J and C's room, so I didn't. They alternate shifts, so each room belongs to two guys.
At about 1:48 we had a call, not a terribly exciting one or anything, but it was a real call. It was good to find out what exactly they do that makes it take 3 minutes before calling back in when it's not a terrible emergency. Now I won't be totally impatient with them. Granted, I was up and dressed before either R or T, but they had more stuff to put on, since I only had a jumpsuit and they have uniforms and belts and radios and boots.
I was really impressed by their efficiency at the house we went to, and how quickly they figured out what was wrong. We went out into the hall and got the stretcher into the room and they helped the guy on. Good thing we have strong tough ambulance people, guys and girls. I don't think I would last long unless I had a lot of practice and did some weightlifting to strengthen my arms. I got to carry the duffelbag, which seriously is almost as big as I am, and they laughed because it looked funny. They were happy to have someone open the doors for them, though. We brought the guy to the hospital, and then R did the paperwork while T and I made up the bed and cleaned up again.
Then we headed back, and I all of a sudden realized that my jumpsuit legs were about 4 inches too short, and the back about 4 inches to long. They said when I come back they'll find me a different one. :)
Everyone went back to bed, and absolutely nothing happened the rest of the night. Some nights are like that, and some are really busy, and once in a while they don't have any at all. The joys of small towns.
I also got to see a bunch of pictures, mainly of cars after accidents, many of which I'd dispatched myself. It was interesting, but I was glad that when they were out seeing nasty things and braving cold and snow, I was safely in my office in a nice warm chair. They bug us about that. Whatever. Neither of us could do a job without the other.
I made ginger cookies and chocolate chip cookies, and I'll bring some by tomorrow to thank them for being nice to me. And I need to ask if they found my watch anyway. I lost it last night at some point.
Anyway, if anyone has actually had the persistence to read this thing to the end, I've decided I love our field of work. Helping people at 3:00 in the morning is my definition of happiness. But the hours are terrible, and so is some of the company. But my license is good for 2 years, so I can quit now and find a better place later possibly. I love it. It's like when people say that it just seems like the must dance, or play the piano or whatever to be happy. I guess I get a lot of satisfaction out of being the one who's there 24/7 to help you if you need me. *grin*
But I think longer coveralls would be a good plan.


2 Comments:
yay for longer coveralls..
somehow though, I wonder If I would be happy if you came to my house at 3:00AM to "save" me..
lol..
-henners
Hey, behave! "Save" you? I wouldn't dream of it. :P Actually, I thinks I does a fairly good job sitting in my comfy office helping "save" people. I wouldn't come to the house anyhow normally. So there. :D
Post a Comment
<< Home