Sunday, January 01, 2006

2006

I've been remembering different things this year for the last little while. Just haven't found the time to sit down and write. 2005 was a good year. Actually, a really wonderful year. There were sad things that happened, and bad ones, but I see God's Hand in our lives once again.
A few of the things I remembered:
Steve and Alison's engagement!
How Laura went off to college and is now a legal secretary,working in a huge law firm in Edmonton. She went to the St. Albert CanRC and met Henry Bosch, who, with his family, have proved to be very good friends indeed. We've had good times this year.
The Youth Retreat I went to this spring in Edmonton. That was a lot of fun. I re-met some people, and got to know others.
All the good times we had in Spruce Grove, St. Albert, and Grande Prairie, with the Doiges, Boschs, and Barendregts, respectively. They are all good friends, and we are blessed to have the means to go see them and do fun-and-interesting things with them.
I remember last year today, when we where in GP with the Barendregts, Doiges, Isaiah and Matthew Eyre, and the Paarup girls. That was just after the wedding on New Year's Eve, and we spent a quiet and memorable day together. I got a 'Sons of Korah' CD as a result of sundry quiet talks, and more good has come to some of us because of that day. It's a special day to me.
The trip our family (minus Steve and Laura) took down to Idaho and Montana this summer. Four of us went to the history conference, and four of us dabbled in the creek and sunbathed. We visited with friends, and met new ones, including the Eyre and Tucker families. We drove back up through Montana, along the Lewis and Clark trail. It was hugely fun, although some of the adventures we had didn't seem so great at the time. Looking back is always more fun.
I gave up my dream of college, changed my job from interior design seamstress to clothing store clerk, and starting studying accounting, which I find extremely interesting.
All in all, it's been a good year for our family. None of us have been deathly ill, no one broke anything, and our house didn't burn down.
Sad things did happen though. Our Hoff grandparents aren't doing well anymore. OPa and Oma live together in a home where they can get care. Oma is wheelchair bound, having had a stroke, but she can do some painting and help herself with some things. Opa's cancer has showed up again, and his lung problems do not help. He is not doing well.
But we know, and were reminded again today at church, that all things that happen to us are for our good. We may not see why at the time. In fact we rarely do. But looking back, I see more in many things that I didn't understand before. There are a lot of things in our lives that we do not understand, even looking back 5 or 10 years, but we can trust that whatever has happened, what is happening, and what will come in 2006 will be God's doing, and somehow good for us. And that's a comforting thought.
I know the first thing that's going to happen this year. We're going skiing tomorrow. Snowboarding, actually, for me anyway. It's been a long time. Too long. :) So toodles. I'd better get rested up for that.

5 Comments:

Blogger Isaiah Eyre said...

Your New Year's post was better written than mine. And although I already told you, I'll say it again; don't break yourself snowboarding - I don't want to have to call the hospital instead of your house. :-P

2/1/06 2:58 a.m.  
Blogger lilshortbread said...

good post.. i would do one but i am not in a good mind ritenow. "toodles" is my phraze! :-P LMHO why do peopel copy me....??????????????????????
X-D

4/1/06 1:39 p.m.  
Blogger Emily said...

lol. i don't remember writing toodles. weird. *cheeky grin*

4/1/06 7:26 p.m.  
Blogger Isaiah Eyre said...

My friend Elias used to say toodles all the time, but I can't remember whether or not he spells it with a D or a T. Alternately, he'll use the phrase "toots & scoots!" in a goofy voice with a lisp.

4/1/06 8:34 p.m.  
Blogger lilshortbread said...

*chuckles* it's usually "tootles". but I like to type it "toodelz", cuz that's how i say it. heh heh...

4/1/06 9:54 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Use this to hide the profile in the new template